Sunday, January 24, 2010

When One Thing Leads To Another

I was about to watch another episode of Bat Masterson on Hulu when The Lone Ranger caught my eye instead. I've never watched the old show and decided I was long overdue. "Enter The Lone Ranger." It reminded me that the first time my generation saw Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels was in this 1970’s commercial for Aqua Velva -- I still crack up when he jumps on his horse. There’s also this ad with Silverheels on his own for Chevy Blazer. I was always a Johnny Carson fan, so I had to look up this clip when Jay Silverheels appeared on the show.

Sadly, when plans for the (horrendous) 80s film version of the Lone Ranger were in the works, the owner of the character obtained a court order preventing Clayton Moore from wearing the costume and famous black mask. Here's Moore wearing sunglasses while receiving a star on Hollywood's Walk Of Fame.

9 comments:

RJR said...

Johnny Depp is set to play Tonto in the new Lone Ranger movie.

RJR

Evan Lewis said...

You'll have to continue the Ranger series for at least the next two episodes, The Lone Ranger Fights On and The Lone Ranger's Triumph. They form a trilogy to complete the origin story.

David Cranmer said...

RJR, Depp is such a powerful actor that I'm wondering who they will get to counter balance his performance.

Evan, I will. The series is a lot of fun.

Richard Prosch said...

I know a retired school teacher in St. Louis who hosted Moore back in the day. He spoke to the assembled group of kids and my friend said even hard core gang-bangers were quiet and paid attention. He truly was the Lone Ranger.

Scott D. Parker said...

If you like the Ranger, you must read Dynamite Comics' version of The Lone Ranger. There are at least three trade paperback collections. Volume 1 is the origin and it shows how all the stuff we all know from the radio/TV shows came to pass.

David Cranmer said...

Richard, That's a great story. I'm glad you shared. Thanks.

Scott, This sounds like my kind of sin. I will check 'em out. I'm overdue for another round of graphic novels/comic books.

James Reasoner said...

I'm a huge Lone Ranger fan and have been for many years. The later, color episodes of the TV series that use actual exterior locations are excellent.

Also, you should search on YouTube for the story comedian Jay Thomas has told about Clayton Moore several times on David Letterman's show.

c nadeau said...

OK,I might as well get in position for the eggs and rotten tomatoes now...I kinda liked the Eighties film, loved the old show too.

David Cranmer said...

ca nadaeu, The film has its moments but it just can't live up to what came before. After seeing the first few episodes it is even more clear now.

Btw its good to have you stop by again.