Monday, January 12, 2009

My Town Monday: 'Cranmer' Hollow, New York

This MTM post is less about Cranmer Hollow and more about the people from the town, in particular, my family. Yes, folks, another slice of my family history.

I found among my father's papers a clipping of my great-grandfather's wedding announcement from 1898 (pictured to the right). The couple from Cranmer Hollow, NY would divorce some years later, though the marriage produced three children, the first of whom, Alfred, died within two months of birth. Helen was born on August 7, 1900 and my grandfather, Fred, came along on January 7, 1904.

Digging further in the papers, I came across a great picture of Aunt Helen and her husband, Vincent Campbell, celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary in 1978. I just love the old 1918 photograph of them. She's quite pretty and obviously very stylish, though, what's she wearing on her head? They were an active couple into their golden years with rollerskating being their main hobby. My great aunt Helen passed away in 1985.



Cranmer Hollow, named after my family, has unfortunately today become the easier sounding Cramer Hollow.

***

Please, if you get a chance, stop by One Word, One Rung, One Day and show your support for My Town Monday creator, Travis Erwin, who recently lost his home in a fire. There is also a site dedicated to helping the Erwin's rebuild. We wish Travis and his family all the best.

18 comments:

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Great post and I'll get involved with My Town Monday for next week. I've sent my regard to Travis and will donate something myself.

Great post.
Great sentiments.

Junosmom said...

I love to look at before and after photos - photos of a young person and that same person many years later. It is fascinating.

Sepiru Chris said...

Hello David,

When did Cranmer Hollow switch to Cramer Hollow? Were family jealousies involved? How much do you know?

Cheers,
Chris

David Cranmer said...

Archavist, Thanks. I remember you doing a post on your grandfather which would fit in nicely on MTM.

Junosmom, Ditto for me. Old photos hold such wonderful insight, mysteries, and overall fascination.

Chris, Thanks for stopping by and I will check out your blog when I get a chance... No jealousies that I know of that would have forced a name change. The name Cranmer with an N is often confused with Cramer (or Kramer). Probably a mistake on the part of the county after family members had moved away or died off.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Nice seeing where we came from, isn't it? We should do that one week, list our ancestoral homeplace.

Charles Gramlich said...

What a great story about them roller skating even late in life.

I feel deprived now. my family doesn't have anything named after it, except maybe that pile of empty beer cans at the city dump.

Barbara Martin said...

I love looking at old photos and mementos from days gone by. Wonderful post, David.

I have my grandmother's 'diary and alamack' when she came to Canada in 1906 with short notes on learning to work a sewing machine before taking the ocean voyage. Also, there are several pages from a Brown's Limited catalogue, Spring 1906 from Portage La Prairie, Manitoba.

David Cranmer said...

Patti, I think that would be a great post idea and if pics could be included that would enhance it even more.

Charles, empty beer cans are better than nothing:)

Barbara, Your grandmother's 'diary and alamack' would be interesting to see if you ever decided to post it. And old photos are one reason I go to the Barbara Martin blog.

Sepiru Chris said...

David, thanks for answering my question. Shame about the change.

It is interesting to read about others' personal histories. Thanks for sharing; it is an enjoyable post. Thanks for visiting too.

David Cranmer said...

Sepiru Chris, No problemo. It's a lot of fun.

Clare2e said...

David- I love seeing the pairs of pictures. Both of them provide wonderful bookends. What a great couple!

Of course, now Cranmer Hollow is available as a name for your estate or compound...

Barrie said...

Incredible finds! Oh no, I'm a slacker MTMer. I better get back in the swing of things next week. Ack.

David Cranmer said...

"Estate or compound!" Clare, if you could only see me chuckling after the comments you leave.

Barrie, I have lucked out with a whole suitcase of forgotten family history that I will be able to use over the next few weeks (Thanks to Dad).

sandra seamans said...

It's always fun going through old papers and forgotten photos. I had that pleasure several years ago. You learn so much about your family that way.

Joshua said...

great post

David Cranmer said...

Sandra, I wish as a teen and young adult I had written more of the stories down as my grandparents and other relatives were swapping yarns. So much history is lost. I remember Alex Haley saying "In every conceivable manner, the family is link to our past, bridge to our future." So true.

Thanks Josh.

Sarah Hina said...

I love this slice of Cranmer history. I'm always fascinated by old photographs, and newspaper clippings. And postcards, too, which are harder to come by. The everyday banality of them, and what people choose to share, touches me.

Helen was lovely. That's really cool that a town was named after your family. Shame that they changed it, though.

David Cranmer said...

Sarah, Thank you for the kind words for Aunt Helen and I share your love of old photos and history. I plan to do some more of these posts.