Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Two Sentence Tuesday

My two lines are hot off the laptop and may still need a final polish, but here goes:
Patty’s bleating always gets under my skin and, even though I know better, I can't help dishing out a little dig at my husband’s sniveling princess, “That's something you will have to live with.”

Her fury explodes. She lunges at me full force, grabbing my collar, screaming, “Where is he?!”
This is from a short with a working title, The Missing Husband of Mildred Malloy. In this particular scene, an elderly woman is confronted by her stepdaughter who is suspicious after the disappearance of her father.

I made some time to read part of January’s Ellery Queen issue. From the "Passport to Crime" section comes this nugget from a gem of a story by Susanne Mischke:
It’s difficult to say how and when the tragedy began. The grip of disaster may even stretch back as far as two years ago, when Aldi had a sale on strings of Christmas lights and the Knochenhauers bought one of them and wound it around the stunted pine tree in their little front yard.
My writing this week has fallen by the wayside as I’ve been reading submissions and working on the design for Beat to a Pulp. We have some mighty impressive stories lined up for the first month with some dramatic twists, hardboiled action and western thrills. Don’t forget, if you want to submit a story, send it to btapzine@live.com.

For more Two Sentence Tuesday, check out Women of Mystery...

9 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm almost finished with a piece I'm calling Shotguns and Sin. Just got to tweak the ending a touch.

Clare2e said...

Charles- I love that title!

I was just hopping in to read David's sentences, and to tell him I loved his Mildred title, too.

Titles are like a beautiful presentation on the dinner plate, since we eat first with out eyes. A cool title fills me with the same delicious anticipation.

David Cranmer said...

Charles, I have to agree with Clare, that's a great title. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Clare, What a poetic comparison and so very true for me too... a catchy title really gets one salivating to dig right in!

Scott D. Parker said...

"Shotguns and Sin." Damn. Wish I'd have thought of that.

David:
I'm wrapping up a short story in the spirit of the book I'm reviewing this Friday. It's a western and a mystery.

David Cranmer said...

Scott, Send it along when you can. We have two other great westerns lined up for BTAP and yours would be a nice addition.

Barbara Martin said...

That title of Charles' certainly has piqued my interest.

My two lines were posted at Women of Mystery. David you wanted to know what happened to the woman last week, well...

My submission to your zine is still being tweaked to get it down to the 1,500 word limit.

David Cranmer said...

Barbara, Thank you for the submission. Just so you know I raised it to a 4,000 limit. I had so many great stories come in between 2-4k words that I would be hard pressed to reject. Sorry this news is late!

Nan Higginson said...

David,

Looking forward to earning a spot in your zine!

Nan

David Cranmer said...

Nan, I'm thankful to you and the other ladies at Women of Mystery for getting the word out and for your upcoming contributions.