Sunday, October 12, 2008

Antiquing for Mysteries

I’ve mentioned on occasion that Little d and I like to go antiquing on weekends, mainly on the lookout for books, coins, and paintings. We hadn’t planned on going today but Gary's post of the new EQMM and AHMM covers on The Tainted Archive got my wheels turning. The new AHMM reminded me of an old issue. Over breakfast, I pondered my collection stashed away in NY when it hit me, I don’t have that issue... I had seen it in the antique store several weeks ago. Faster than you can say "Holy cow Batman", I was dragging d a good hour away to the Washington Old School House Antique Mall. While I was there, I picked up thirty(!) EQMM and AHMMs. Oh, and here's that April 1984 Ellery Queen cover that reminded me of the current Alfred Hitchcock (along with the 29 others!).

2 comments:

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Very similar cover theme. I've never seen the mags with photographic covers before. Glad to know I've aided the American economy with your buying spree.

David Cranmer said...

We can use all the help we can get!... Several issues in the late 70s and 80s had various writers and celebrities on the cover. I agree with you that the current covers of the EQMMs are nothing short of perfect with the old pulp style look.