Saturday, July 5, 2008

Forgotten Kids' Books: Dig Allen

I noticed a little late that all my favorite sites were spotlighting forgotten books yesterday. Patti Abbott is the host behind this wonderful idea. Though I’m new to the Blogger community, I’m not new to blogging, so I dug into my archives to retrieve a piece on an obscure book series. I’m a day late, and probably a dollar short, but here's my rewrite on this post from March 2008:

I’m betting that most readers have never heard of A Dig Allen Space Explorer adventure. I certainly hadn’t when I saw two books, Journey to Jupiter and Trappers of Venus, for $3.50 at an antique store. Wondering if the old hardcover books were worth the price, I did a quick search on my BlackBerry and discovered that these little gems were from a series of six juvenile science fiction books written from 1959 to 1962 by Joseph Greene, who also created the TV show Tom Corbett, Space Cadet. The series about a team of teen explorers from the 22nd century failed to sell and was discontinued after the 6th installment.

My eye also caught a lithograph of a minstrel playing some type of flute. The lithograph was priced at $75.00 and I managed to talk the owner down to $50, but I still wasn't sure. It’s only worth probably $10 bucks but it's the first piece of art that's jumped out to me since my trip to Belize. Little d and I went back and purchased the lithograph and named it The Minstrel of Metairie. It’s by an artist named SoulĂ©.

Also, here’s a site devoted to Dig Allen.

Parts of this blog were originally posted on the Axiom Report on 3/8/2008.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hey, David. I'll add this in. Let me know if you ever are going to post one again. Thanks. (aa2579@wayne.edu)

David Cranmer said...

Thanks Patti, for adding me to the forgotten books post. I'll be sure to let you know when I have another to contribute.