Monday, September 14, 2020

Man of the West (1958)

I saw MAN OF THE WEST (1958) starring Gary Cooper for the first time, unbelievably, last week. An extraordinary Anthony Mann film based on THE BORDER JUMPERS 1955 novel by Will C. Brown. Its theme, one of redemption, has much in common with Shakespeare's KING LEAR. And that cast! Julie London, Lee J. Cobb, Jack Lord, John Dehner, and Robert J, Wilke hit all the marks, and then some. I'll be writing more on this gem at some point in the months to come.

2 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

Love this movie, too. Will C. Brown is an author I've wanted to dive into. Have you read much of his stuff?

David Cranmer said...

I can't say that I have, Cullen. I believe THE NAMELESS BREED has been about it. But this film really has me stoked to read more Brown. I wonder how much of the screenplay was adapted?