Friday, November 10, 2017

Ulysses Adventure Begins

My #FridayReads (as the Twitterati likes to hash tag) is going to be the same for the next year. Choosing to study James Joyce's ULYSSES. 2.5 pages (total of 783) a day. Have annotated version backup and a graphic novel for assistance.

Memorable sentences so far:

"Parried again. He fears the lancet of my art as I fear that of his. The cold steel pen."

"He kills his mother but he can't wear grey trousers."

"It is a symbol of Irish art. The cracked lookingglass of a servant."

'You behold in me, Stephen said with grim displeasure, a horrible example of free thought."

"History, Stephen said, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

And here's the reason why Joyce's legend endures:


2 comments:

David Nemeth said...

I've tried and failed. You are a brave man.

David Cranmer said...

I have failed before myself. This time I'm armed, I feel, with the right tools to scale the tower. The link to the comic book has been essential in understanding episode 1: Telemachus. Plus having the annotated study guide at my ready has been a godsend.