Monday, October 3, 2016

Rumors and Impending Action

Hope all bloggers had a superior weekend!

Monday finds me typing away at new articles for Criminal Element where I moonlight as a freelance writer. The latest post is my take on the Westworld debut. Did you watch? I thought it was a bit familiar but overall has my curiosity piqued with what Anthony Hopkins has planned for his unusual amusement park. So I'll be reviewing that for the next ten weeks and, in addition, finish Longmire season five recaps by Friday and every Tuesday whittle my way through The Dark Tower. Tomorrow we come to the conclusion of The Gunslinger and I hope you have your library cards ready to pick up the second book in the series, The Drawing of the Three.

On the publishing front, I'm looking to release Garnett Elliott's Two Trick Pony very soon. This will be the eighth book in The Drifter Detective series and it may just be where the road comes to an end for Jack Laramie, grandson of Cash Laramie. I'm not saying for sure but there are rumors, pilgrims.

That's it for me on the work front—never slow down, never grow old.

10 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hi David-Since I cannot get my comment to post on Criminal Element I will put it here. I was troubled by the incessant violence on the show. I thought it interesting and will continue to watch, but robots or not, a body count that high was disheartening. Especially given what's going on right now. Would every visitor to Westworld be interested in mass murder?

Garnett Elliott said...

I watched some of Westworld last night, but I was underwhelmed. Lots of not-so-pithy dialogue. Great potential here, but it feels too busy. My favorite part: 'Paint it Black' rendered as classical music. Very atmospheric for a Western!

David Cranmer said...

Patti, (disappointed you could not leave a comment over there, and I will talk to CE about that.) Yes, body count is ridiculously high and Denise had the same issues with what she was seeing. I touch on the violence with my future reviews though it bothers me more on a show like Longmire where we see a sheriff abusing his rights then it does to see cartoonish violence directed against robots. Part of Westworld is humans and their lack of humanity. Still, you make a very valid point: is this what we want to see in this day and age.

Garnett, The Rolling Stones song fit in nicely and they definitely have a respect for the Western genre. Oh, and it gets busier.

Oscar Case said...

Looks like your hands are full.

David Cranmer said...

And then some, Oscar. Workaholic, I.

Anonymous said...

Longmire S.5 and Westworld have yet to arrive here in the UK (or at least on a service that we have), so I'm avoiding your posts on those in case of spoilers, but I am looking forward to both when they do eventually arrive - really want to know what happens to Walt following the end of S.4!

I'll be checking out your Gunslinger post soon, just finished reading the final chapter myself.

David Cranmer said...

tontowilliams, Westworld should be in the UK as of last night... and overall I think you will be happy with the direction of Longmire though as a reviewer I had to take exception with a few of the narratives that got away, so to speak. Thank you so much for you commentary on The Gunslinger! There's a plan to move to the next book in the series if you are interested.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Re: LONGMIRE Episode 4-on the whole amazingly lucid considering the amount of story they squeezed in here. Although I wonder if it was a bit too much. The "kidney" story line could have used a bit more time to truly appreciate the ironic elements. Also the suicide could have been given more space. Still a good 'un.

David Cranmer said...

Patti, Overall I enjoyed the episode and the next few that followed though I'm really paying attention to Walt's cavalier style of policing and how he does cause a majority of his own problems. Funny you mentioned space because though Netflix gives more time than say network television, I almost would appreciate two hour movies and would settle for five episodes per season (over ten) if it would help them flesh out more of the plot. Still, yes, they do an admirable job of condensing that's for sure.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Yes, movies would be the way to go.