Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Lured into the Spiderweb, eh?" Paul Brazill Tweeted to David Cranmer

So, I'm almost 48 hours into Tweeting. I really wasn’t going to do it but the tipping of the scale came from Chris Holm: Can't hurt, right?

My first tweet wasn’t on the scale of Bell’s "Mr Watson—Come here—I want to see you.” It was, "What the hell am I doing, Chris?" But soon enough I was corresponding with several writers and it just flowed. I didn’t feel obligated to join in the conversations but did on occasion and it has been very easy to walk away from. What benefits? Tons of info concerning the writing world, new book releases and really enjoying folk’s thoughts on a whole host of activities.

Another thing about me is I'm a journal/diary kind of nut. I have a running file on my laptop where I mention what the family has done for the day, writing word count, etc. Some of the trivial things I will be tweeting about makes for another collection of memories. If other folks get a kick out of them then that's great, but for me it's another way to record stuff that might not have gone into the journal.

I don't see a downside at this point. I find Twitter to be a valuable tool (I really surprised myself on this one).

If you have joined Twitter recently, do you agree?

12 comments:

Ron Scheer said...

I'm replying here and not there because I'm probably already over 140 characters. Just from exploring during the last 24 hours, I already know the kind of people I'd prefer to follow. Not many.

There, as here, it's hard to find readers/writers with my main interest: early westerns, which is pulpsphere adjacent, but the overlap is narrow.

Search on "westerns" at twitter, and you get every commercial purveyor, starting with Best Western motels. Meanwhile, the kind of people twitter seems to think I'd like to follow are public figures from Newt Gingrich to Steve Martin. (I would, though, happily read an exchange of tweeting between those two!)

So, I don't know yet if twitter was intended for someone like me, but it's still early days...

Richard Prosch said...

A perfect articulation of the benefits --good post. Being there can't hurt.

Ron, it may take some time to find folks to follow, but no big deal. Best way is visit the profile of someone you do follow, then see who they follow. As long as you follow me and David, you're gold. (grin!)

David Cranmer said...

Ron, I noticed the lack of western presence and was surprised myself. I'm planning on e-mailing a few people and getting them involved.

And Rich is right: we're gold!

David Cranmer said...

Ron, Crider, Reasoner, Sweazy, and Mayo are on Twitter. Of course, these guys are probably busy writing but they're on there.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I gotta admit, I kinda like it. :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm still holding out.

Paul D Brazill said...

There have been a few good things that have come from being one of the Twitteratti; contact with a couple of people from my home town; being followed by Nancy Sinatra-yes, I know!

David Cranmer said...

Alyssa,I agree with what Cullen Gallagher said here a few days ago, that Twitter is like a bunch of people shouting in a room trying to be heard. Kinda/sorta true but the info flowing is invaluable. And I guess I'm a bit of a narcissistic personality because I like leaving little worthless blips about myself. Maybe I will hate it in a month or so.

Charles, You would be a natural.

Nancy! That is very cool, Paul.

David Cranmer said...

Paul, But what happens if she stops following you. You will be devastated and drink for a week.

Paul D Brazill said...

No, change there, then ...

Dave King said...

I joined a while back, but have yet to make my first tweet. It doesn't seem urgent somehow!

David Cranmer said...

Paul, Ha. Big chuckles here.

Dave, This would be a challenge for you. A daily haiku in 140 characters or less.