Friday, September 3, 2010

BTAP #90: A Rip Through Time: The Dame, The Doctor, and the Device by Chris F. Holm

I'm super thrilled about this week's offering at BEAT to a PULP that requires a little back story revolving around TIME TRAVELERS NEVER DIE. Thanks to reviews by Randy Johnson and James Reasoner, I picked up Time Travelers and fell under the spell once again with the concept of jumping through centuries. It got the gears in my tiny brain whirling and Simon Rip was born.

Rip is a time cop who is sent back through the realms in search of the world's first time voyager, Dr. Berlin. I wanted straightforward pulp. Fun adventure not weighed down in The Grandfather Paradox and I wanted plot ideas born not of my limited noodle. Enter Chris F. Holm, Charles Gramlich and Matthew P. Mayo. Each one of these talented writers brought so much more to the table than I could have hoped for. Mr. Gramlich and Mr. Mayo's concluding pieces will be coming up later this year in BTAP's first ever eBook. (With a sharp essay on time travel by Ron Scheer.)

For the opening installment, Mr. Holm has done a phenomenal job in setting up the story especially since I handicapped him in a big way confining him to a lower word count for online readers. But because he is such a gifted storyteller he pulled it off more than admirably. What am I talking about? Well, folks, here it is, A Rip through Time: The Dame, the Doctor, and the Device. Please leave a comment and let us know what you think.