Thursday, May 27, 2010

Forgotten Music: Distant Drums by Jim Reeves

My old man was a huge fan of Jim Reeves (August 20, 1923–July 31, 1964) and some of my earliest memories are hearing songs like "Danny Boy," "He'll Have to Go," and "Welcome to My World." But this Reeves song that came out of the hissing-n-crackling speakers of our 70s record player is the one that stuck with me most:



"Distant Drums was" a pothumous hit for Reeves. From Wikipedia:

In 1966, Reeves' record "Distant Drums" went to No. 1 in the British singles chart and remained there for five weeks, beating competition from The Beatles' "Yellow Submarine" and "Eleanor Rigby" (a double-sided "A" release), and the Small Faces' hit, "All Or Nothing" as well as holding off various recordings from living artists already in the UK charts from the coveted No. 1 spot.

The May 2010 edition of the Forgotten Music Project is hosted by Scott D. Parker.

10 comments:

Chad Eagleton said...

My mother is a big Jim Reeves fan. I'd never heard the one you posted, but I've always liked "Four Walls" a lot.

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to see Reeves in Person once. Great singer.

David Cranmer said...

I'm betting "Four Walls" was one of his biggest hits and certainly best remembered.

Bill, I bet in a live performance he sounded just like the record. Marvelous vocals.

Mike Wilkerson said...

What a voice...Blue Side of Lonesome is the JR tune that sticks with me. After all, who hasn't been on a barstool not doing so well?

George said...

My father was a huge Jim Reeves fan. Great voice and great songs!

Charles Gramlich said...

I know this guy's voice but I never knew his name.

Todd Mason said...

I had failed to realize he'd died so young. Overshadowed that way by HW (and perhaps Holly and friends), but certainly not a forgotten performer...if not sufficiently remembered.

David Cranmer said...

Mike, Amen.

George, Reeves was definitely respected by the older generation but lesser known today. That is unfortunate.

Charles, A lot of his music (I think, without doing a check) was played on top forty radio when we were knee high to a grasshopper. That's possibly where you may have heard it.

Todd, "Not sufficiently remembered"
about sums it up.

I.J. Parnham said...

I'm another one with a Dad who loved JR. I hear the sound bum bum bum bum bum bum of distant drums bum bum bum... ah, great stuff.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It sure seems like music was more regional back then. I have only a vague memory of him.