Monday, May 31, 2010

BTAP #76: Miles to Go by Edward A. Grainger

I came up with the character Gideon Miles after reading the unsung adventures of Bass Reeves, one of the first, if not the first, African American U.S. Marshals of the Old West. As a matter of fact, the scene where Miles plays possum is my homage to the true life Reeves who pretended to be dead to get the drop on a wanted man he was tracking.

This story I’m spinning (hero worship, on the trail of a bad man) is not new but I hope I’ve told it well and it's entertaining. Please let me know, by dropping over to BEAT to a PULP and leaving a comment on "Miles to Go."

Special thanks to Matt Mayo and dMix for their invaluable assist on this story.

On another note, the Edward A. Grainger pen name is a tribute to my grandfather who was also a writer. I got the idea from Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin and thought it was a marvelous way to pay my respect.

Coming soon: "The Little Boy Inside" by Glenn Gray