Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Book Review Club: THE GUILT EDGE

He was lying on the floor of one of the stalls, and had obviously been kicked to death by a horse. His head was bleeding, and the blood had soaked into the straw and dirt around him. I went into the stall and bent over him, but there was nothing for me to do. I didn't touch him, or move him. I got out of there, feeling slightly sick. It's not every day you see somebody's brains scattered about. -- "The Girl Who Talked To Horses" from THE GUILT EDGE by Robert J. Randisi.

The above passage is from one of fifteen short stories that comprise Robert J. Randisi's THE GUILT EDGE and features five protagonists (Henry Po, Val O'Farrell, Truxton Lewis, Bat Masterson, and Timothy Webster) crime fiction revelers have come to love over the last twenty-five years.

Highlights, for me, are the O'Farrell/Masterson tales that imagine Bat still fighting the good fight and mentoring real life O'Farrell as late as the early 1920s.

Michael Connelly has stated "Robert Randisi has long been held as a master of the genre.... He's one of the best."

I agree, and THE GUILT EDGE shows why.

Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

18 comments:

Evan Lewis said...

Cool. Gotta try some of those Masterson stories.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds most intriguing. Another writer whose work I have sorely missed.

Cloudia said...

So much to read!





Sorry I haven't been visiting as often as I'd like, but I've been
having connection issues that I THINK I've solved. Thanks for YOUr
visits & comments :)

Aloha from Waikiki


Comfort Spiral

Barrie said...

I'm always happy to hear of good short stories, especially mysteries! Also, I'm just putting together tomorrow's post, and you've already got yours up!! Go you!! thank you so much for joining in, David!

David Cranmer said...

Evan, There is also THE HAM REPORTER (1986) that is a full length Masterson novel. I haven't read it yet but Ed Gorman has a write up on his blog: http://newimprovedgorman.
blogspot.com/2010/01/
forgotten-books-ham-reporter-by-robert.html

Charles, Then this one is for you. Btw its good to have you back commenting. Cyber World is dull without you.

Cloudia, I understand. Aloha from Mainland USA.

Barrie, Thanks for inviting me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Perfect timing. I've been looking for a collection of stories by one writer.

Alyssa Goodnight said...

No doubt that that's some great writing, but it's a little...er...graphic for me. I'm very squeamish. It can be a problem--I can't even look in my kids' mouths when they're losing their teeth.

Sarah Laurence said...

Welcome! It’s wonderful to see you join us for the book review, David, but I fear these stories will be too gory for me.

David Cranmer said...

Patti, this is right up your alley.

Alyssa, The boy in me, who loves violent action films probably picked a rather gruesome section but these are mysteries for the most part. On par, with Arthur Conan Doyle or Agatha Christie. You would enjoy them.

Sarah, It's nice to be back! I was actually in the first Book Review Club many months ago. And like I mentioned to Alyssa, these stories are not that gruesome. The violence/murders serve the story and are not gratuitous.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous writing... has me intrigued...

Staci said...

I've not read many short story collections but this one sounds good!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a summer book for me.

James

Beth Yarnall said...

Well, dang it. There's another one to add to my TBR pile. I love mysteries. Thanks for a great review!

Kieran Shea said...

And I love my copy. It's like a do-it-yourself-manual for cracking short stories, thanks again, D.

David Cranmer said...

Kathy, And I just checked your review of CAUGHT IN A TRAP
and will probably grab that from the Kindle store.

Staci, There is nothing better then a top short story anthology.

James, Excellente!

Beth, You are welcome and thanks for stopping by.

Kieran, That sums it up best.

Jodi MacArthur said...

I like your review. Sounds like a great book.

David Barber said...

Anothet one to add to the ever growing pile. Thanks David.

Dave King said...

I may have to add that one to my already much-too-long list.