Sunday, September 17, 2017

Lonely As Hell

In a Lonely Place (1950) features one of the finest Humphrey Bogart performances equaled by the lovely Gloria Grahame as his doomed lover. And a very astute line, my favorite, comes when Bogart as a cynical Hollywood screenwriter named Dixon Steele says, "It was his story against mine, but of course, I told my story better." And another more tragic gem, "I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me." How great is that, right?

Such poignant, flawless writing was adapted from the Dorothy B. Hughes novel of the same name. Considered by some to be the greatest noir, I disagree there, but it would easily be in the top five, with numero uno being Out of the Past. I watched Lonely Place earlier today and am thinking it needs to be part of my yearly rotation. A film of such immense, staggering depth is bound to elicit more treasures on repeated dives.

1 comment:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

David, now that I have read your review, I must watch this film. I have seen very few Humphrey Bogart films.