Monday, September 11, 2017

Five D's

Here are some words I have used in some recent or upcoming projects. All definitions are from Merriam Webster.

Deviltries is an archaic variant of devilry. Wickedness, mischief.  I said on Twitter earlier today: I'm bringing back the word "devilry" that Merriam places in the low 30% of usage. Slipped into two colloquies in one week—no one blinked.

Disport means sport, pastime. A recent Merriam Webster Word of the Day.

Discursive is digressing from subject to subject.

Dissolute. From the bottom 30% of deviltries to the top 30% with dissolute which means more or less lax morals.

Dragooned has become a quick favorite which means to coerce someone into doing something. Click on the link for another essential word of the day.

2 comments:

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

"Dissolute" is the only word I have used but it's good to learn four new ones and their meanings.

David Cranmer said...

Older I get, Prashant, the dictionary becomes my favorite book.